Monday, May 23, 2016

I'm spending a day in Madrid after my week-long trip to Andalusia. I didn't realize that even Madrid has so much Muslim heritage in it.

Madrid is the ONLY European capital founded by Muslims. It was the Muslims, under Muḥammad I, son of Emir Abd al-Raḥmān al-Dākhil the founder of Umayyad power in Andalus, that a fortress and small settlement was established, and because of the river running below, it was called مجريط, from which we get 'Madrid'.

The picture is the only part of the ORIGINAL wall built by the Muslims that remains; literally a stone's throw away from the Royal Palace (the official residence of the King of Spain). It dates back to around 850 CE - over 1200 years old.

In fact, my guide (born and raised in Madrid) told us that the Spanish king's palace was built over the ruins of the al-Qasr (Alcazar), the palace of Muḥammad I in Madrid. Quite literally, the foundations of the Muslim palace merge in and support the current King of Spain's palace (which was built in 1740, after a fire tragically destroyed the original al-Qasr).

After this whirlwind of a tour of Andalusia, I felt this was an extremely apt metaphor that symbolized the Islamic heritage of Spain - even though the Muslims left, their language, civilization, arts, architecture, culture and heritage left a lasting impact on Spanish, and in particular Andalusian, civilization. Spain would not be what it is today without an important foundation of Muslim influence. 

I came away with a renewed sense of pride regarding our history, and I am even more resolved to learn myself, and teach others, these amazing snippets of our own heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment